Much more could be written about it and its place in our urban history and urban fabric. The building dates from 1889 and is associated with building/designer Wilbur Boothby. By marriage the Greenbaum family related to brewer Sam Adolph, owner of the Adolph Block, where Wild Pear is located. The quilt is ornate and has many pieces!
|SE Corner of Chemeketa and Commercial, then and now|
Then: Eldridge Block circa 1940, Salem Library
Inset, today: Chemeketa Parkade
(Click to enlarge)
The last section of the Eldridge block can be seen in this photo circa 1940. It extended all the way from Greenbaum's to the corner. Two of the central stairs also had towers over them. (The seven-window unit with the tower on the right side, the south end, is the only part that remains.)
Today most of the building's former footprint is the Chemeketa Parkade. Before that garage was completed in 1978, a department store wanted it for a surface lot.