|The latest plan map (Dec 2015 in February packet)|
Budget items to consider (continuing January 6, 2016 WSRAB discussion)Mostly these are possibilities, options, hypotheticals, so it's not probably worth comment in detail. But do register, I think, the increasing talk of a transportation bond for 2018.
- Estimated $2 million available to fund projects in FY 2016-17
- Consultant estimates to construct the under-crossing and extension of 2nd Street NW from Patterson Street NW to the Union Street Railroad Bridge is approximately $8.7 million; extension of 2nd Street NW/Marine Drive NW to Glen Creek Road NW is expected to cost around $5 million to $7 million; Agency Board/WSRAB direction to construct full improvement; detailed cost estimate to be completed in the summer 2016
- Anticipate around 10% of the project cost, or $1.5 million, for engineering design and construction plans; Public Works Department is not recommending design next fiscal year until additional funding is available
- Retain URA funds and 2018 bonding capacity could result in around $6 million to $8 million to finance construction
- January 6, 2016 WSRAB discussion leaned toward focusing funds and efforts on the aforementioned larger projects, but there is the option to utilize around $100,000 in unspecified funds to complete design standards and changes to the zoning code; would reduce available funds for the larger projects.
- January 6, 2016 WSRAB action to maintain the grant program, without increasing the funds in FY 2016-17
There's also information on the "outreach strategy" for the next formal phase, the "West Salem Business District Transportation Feasibility Study." You may recall from the last meeting ago that some immediately adjacent businesses had commented that they were unaware of the project. So even with open houses and mailings, things weren't getting through the filters of principals at businesses right on top of the proposed project's footprint. The outreach and communication components look to get more attention in this round.
WSRAB meets Wednesday the 3rd from 7:30 AM – 9:00 AM in the West Salem Public Library, 395 Glen Creek Road NW.
The North Gateway Redevelopment Advisory Board meets on Thursday and - Holy Smokes! - there's a ton of interesting details in the meeting packet. Chief among them is a draft list of projects. On the transportation side, they look a little underwhelming, incremental rather than transformative.
|The North section and first priority (see map detail below)|
|The South section "on hold"|
|The railroad crossing - "on hold"|
|Detail of the north section shows traditional six-foot bike lane|
|Zooming in on intersection with Bill Frey Drive:|
Mostly about sidewalks
Interesting to see is a table of "retail leakage." The yellow is in the original and shows sectors underserved, where people are leaving the area to shop or spend: Grocery, restaurant, general merchandise. Probably no surprises.
|Retail leakage: Food, Restaurant, General Merchandise|
|The Big Idea: A Food Hub and Public Market|
Other things are worth checking out as well.
The North Gateway Redevelopment Advisory Board meets Thursday the 4th at 8:00 AM in the Center 50+, Classroom A, 2615 Portland Road NE.