This is not the comprehensive Safe Routes to School program our coalition has been fighting for, and we need your help to fix it!Folks are riding bikes from Portland on the 6th, and there are Hearings on the 6th and 7th:
Date: Tuesday and Wednesday, June 6th and 7thHere are the specifics of their ask:
Time: 5:30 p.m.
Where: Oregon State Capitol, Hearing Room F
House Bill 3230 builds Safe Routes to School, the Transportation Package does not.As actions they offer
We must ask our decision makers to:
- Remove the ten-year sunset on the program
- Expand street safety funding to $15M per year
- Fund in-classroom education with $6M per year
- Include Title 1 prioritization for street safety projects
- Create flexibility in local funding match requirements for Title 1 schools
- Expand the radius for eligible projects around schools to 1 mile
Here’s what you can do to help:Here's the list of committee members. Note especially our Sen. Winters!
- Tell your state representatives why Safe Routes to School street safety projects and education programs are important to you. They want to hear from you!
- RSVP to testify at a public hearing for the Transportation Package on June 6 or 7. If you can’t make it to Salem, submit written testimony.
- You can also join a bike #RideToSalem with the Street Trust to testify on June 6th.
|Collaged (with comments in red)|
from the May 8th slide deck and presentation
Here's "Our analysis: Oregon ‘Transportation Package’ misses the crosswalk on Safe Routes to School funding" from Safe Routes to School Pacific Northwest.