It's a little anti-climactic, however. Rather than building towards any new insight or discovery, it is mostly a wrap-up with lots of thanks, and rehearses bits already in videos one and two.
In all three of the videos a notable absence was Elisabeth Walton Potter, who must be our foremost expert on the house. Perhaps she was not interested in participating, but it is a remarkable silence.
|Jason Lee House as occupied by John Boon |
Kuchel & Dresel's "map" of Salem, 1858
Willamette University Archives
|Still doing history, Elisabeth Walton Potter in Salem Reporter|
|Elisabeth Walton Potter|
on the National Historic Preservation Act
Oregon Historical Quarterly, Fall 2016
Three Tidbits: Boise Occupancy, First Real Estate Ad, Ruth Rover
The typescript has not gone through OCR it seems, so it is not conveniently searchable. You gotta just read it. There were lots of interesting bits on a first reading, and more is sure to surface on a closer reading. So these are superficial observations and notes on interesting trivia.
|The house after 1844, transition to Boon|
Naively also, I was thinking the dig would be larger and embrace more of the site than it turned out to do, and it became clear the "units" they actually excavated were few and small, and were intended to represent only a sample of the whole.
So it is possible that the participants themselves also feel a bit of anti-climax at the conclusion of the dig and this comes through on the video, even as they seem to strive for a more glowing final assessment. (There is a politics here also, of course, as making bridges and good feeling is the order to set up further collaboration and projects in the future.)
|Very early notice, probably the very first, of Salem lots for sale|
Oregon Spectator, August 20th, 1846
Here from a couple of years later (and not in the thesis) is a plat, presumably with the lots Willson was selling.
|A plat of Salem from 1848,|
"Champoeg County Oregon"
via State Archives and Twitter
Willson drew up the first plat of Salem, covering an area thirteen blocks by five blocks, bounded by the Willamette River and Mission, Church, and Division streets. The plat was recorded by the Marion County Clerk in 1850.The real estate ad is a terrific curiosity, but it has shadows. The origin, roughly in the decade between 1845 and 1855, of our chain of land ownership remains murky, and is something that deserves wider notice and analysis. There were competing claims by J. B. McClane, Chloe Willson, and of course the Kalapuya. The Donation Land Claim Law was from 1850, the treaty with the Kalapuya was ratified in 1855, and Statehood came in 1859. So what exactly is the status and authority of a real estate ad from 1846?
|August 15th, 1918|
|Citing a 1839 letter from Margaret Jewett Smith|
|15 years later: Original 1854 title page|
via Wikipedia/Oregon Encyclopedia