|Part of, or just north of, "Riverside Dip"|
In a history of Wallace Marine Park posted to the old City website, the City dates the park to the 1950s:
In 1956, Paul Black Wallace left 24 acres of prime riverfront land known as Wallace Marine Park to the citizens of Salem. Subsequent purchases and gifts have increased the size of the park to 68 acres. As specified in his will, Wallace's two daughters placed a white marble memorial stone at the park entrance in his memory and that of his life-long friend Joseph Albert. Formal dedication of the memorial was made in 1972.While public ownership itself dates only to this period, there was activity here more than a generation before the park was established.
Basic development of the park took place in the late 50's, soon after the Wallace gift.
It turns out we have seemingly lost the history of an antecedent, an introductory chapter to the modern park.
A bathing beach at the base of the Center Street Bridge on the Polk County side was known as "Riverside Dip" during the late 19-teens.
|July 31st, 1916|
|August 1st, 1916|
|April 5th, 1919|