The wildest estimates that were made by legislators at the 1919 session...have been exceeded for the first year of the law's operation by almost $100,000.
|New Highway Department shops from|
4th Biennial Report of the State Highway Commission,
1919 - 1920
|March 26th, 1920|
With the bond and the tax to service it, the Highway Department was staffing up and had let out a number of contracts for road building.
Along the Geer Line, just south of the Prison, the State had started building what is now ODOT's "East Salem Complex" at State Street and Airport Road. Some of the activity may have been on the north side of State Street on the Prison grounds proper, but soon it was consolidated on the south side of the street.
|Simpson Street traces out the former Geer Line|
at the ODOT complex on Airport and State.
(The Prison and Forestry is just north,
the Post Office lower left)
The first building constructed in 1918 on the Penitentiary Brick Yard site proving inadequate and also the storage space adjacent too small in area, arrangements were made with the Warden of the Penitentiary and the Board of Control whereby the penitentiary relinquished the entire brick yard site, removing it to a plot of ground directly east on the condition that the department pay for the cost of extending the spur track and the necessary materials to put the new grounds in shape.
This arrangement has given the Department storage space several acres in extent just outside of the city limits of Salem with railroad facilities. The total plant now consists of one 40x80 warehouse and shop, one 70x80 shop, two two-story 60x80 warehouses, one shed 368x24 and another shed 80x24 and two loading platforms. The State Fair Board has also generously allowed the department the use of some of the Fair Buildings for winter storage purposes. The garage formerly occupied at 660 Capital Street was discontinued in 1920.
|Union Abstract Company 1892 map of Salem|
State Street bisects in the middle, Prison at center.
(comment added, WHC 1986.017.0004)
|ODOT's official timeline, "Oregon on the Move,"|
barely mentions this for 1919-1920 (2009)
|Though the map is not strictly to scale, and is rotated 90 degrees,|
it shows state institutions ringing the urbanized area in 1911.
The ODOT shops are at the "y"of "Willamette Valley"
in the legend, just left of the Prison.
February 13th, 1911
|Full page spread on the Highway Commission|
and paving progress.
The photo is the same four-building group
from a different angle. March 25th, 1920
As part of it they listed every employee, nearly 500 at the time.
|All the employees, March 25th, 1920|