Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Free Webinar on Biking in Low-Income Communities

If you're involved in Bike Education, Safe Routes to School, or are interested in expanding the reach of your advocacy, on Wednesday, November 30th is a free webinar you might find interesting.

Strategies for Increasing Bicycling in Low-Income Communities

Wednesday, November 30th, 1-2PM ET (so that's 10am our time)
Bicycling is a key strategy for Safe Routes to School programs looking to encourage students to travel short and long distances. However, the lack of bicycles in low-income neighborhoods is a major obstacle to even the most persistent Safe Routes to School program. Low-income communities face many issues that act as barriers to long term participation in bicycling. Ironically, low-income neighborhoods have the most to gain from engaging in bicycling for recreation and transportation.

During this webinar we will be joined by several presenters with a wealth of expertise working in low-income communities. These experts have blazed their own trail while finding new and innovative ways to engage low-income communities in bicycling while implementing a sustainable, successful model that increases bicycling low-income neighborhoods.

Presenters
  • Robert Ping, state network director, Safe Routes to School National Partnership
  • Ed Ewing, Major Taylor director, Cascade Bicycling Club Education Foundation
  • Keith Holt, director, Milwaukee Bicycle Works
Here is the complete webinar information and links to registration.

Previous webinars are archived, and have been on bike trains and bike parking as well as three other topics.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I will be sure to check this out. I started bike commuting a couple years ago, shortly after someone gave me a folding bike, and even though I used the bike in combination with my car (it fits in my trunk) I was able to save so much money in gas and parking - I can take it on transit too, and when I do, I can save myself time, either by riding instead of walking or by not having to transfer. I think getting lower-income neighbourhoods involved in cycling could do so much good.