|1957 USGS map|
|1939 USGS map - not attested|
And that's a sweet note on which to start this week's Council round-up.
Local names are frequent here. USGS maps don't attest to the Badger Corner name in 1925 or 1939, but by a 1957 map it had secured traction. It lingers on the google today. Like Four Corners and the mostly lost Mitchell Corner, the name seems to have marked an intersection on Lancaster. Perhaps even more interesting are the old train stops on the Geer Line: Gesner on Lancaster, and Lachmund out near where Cordon Road is today. Louis Lachmund was a hopsman, Mayor of Salem, and maybe even a scoundrel, one who put the kibosh on the first attempt to shift Salem drinking water from the polluted Willamette to "sweet mountain water," as Portland had earlier done with the Bull Run watershed.
There's lots of great local history here in the place names, and it's a terrific idea to recover an old, mostly forgotten one.
In other good news there's an information report on Sunday Streets, and in it is the prospect of doing two of them next year.
Though some will see it as a sign of conspiracy, here we see it as a sign of sanity: Council is requesting a report on the state of "free parking" downtown and notes that in a preliminary way there seem to be lots of problems with the policy for free, unlimited parking downtown. Unsurprisingly, it's just not working (and elsewhere).
|Roads and alleys to vacate at Blind School|