|McKinney car lot, Center & Commercial, 1961|
on the north side of Center Street (Rite-Aid lot)
(Salem Library Historic Photos, and similar here)
|Otto J. Wilson garage, May 1952. Image courtesy of John Wilson|
|Gas Station and garage on NE Corner|
1926 Sanborn Fire Map
|Map detail from above|
|Monitoring Well sites from DEQ report - same location|
|State Insurance Building on SE Corner|
Now truncated, with top floors whacked off
Parts of this are still under Runaway Arts & Crafts
(University of Oregon)
The contamination should also give us pause on new gas stations. We ask for last month's rent and a security deposit when you want to rent a home, so why don't we ask for an environmental remediation deposit in an escrow account or something when dirty industry goes in? Even more, why don't we have a moratorium on new gas stations? Why do we even allow new ones at all? We do not adequately price future clean-up costs into the current costs of doing business, instead externalizing those costs and handing them to future generations. Whether the externality is soil contamination or greenhouse gases, somebody else gets to pay.
|The new Fred Meyer gas station off Madrona at Commercial|
Right on top of a culverted Clark Creek
Addendum, August 18th
Here's a funny relation between two sites! This is an ad "We are moving" from May 12th, 1962, announcing McKinney's move from 430 Commercial Street NE, the TJ Maxx/RiteAid parking lot, to 695 Liberty Street NE, just south of the new Police Station site. So the early 1960s may be when the "O'Brien" parcels were first used as car lots and were the first wave of moves from the city center.
Added 1962 clip on McKinney's move from 430 Commercial St NE.
Post a Comment