|Lodging House, Mill Race on corner, Corral on alley|
Liberty and Division, 1895
The Police Station site is sandwiched a little between them.
I don't know of any photos of the block, but by 1895 the Sanborn Fire Map shows a reasonably well developed residential area.
|1895 Sanborn Fire Map|
Running down the middle of Division is an old Mill Race we have lost track of!
|The course of the Mill Race (City of Salem report)|
|Part of the Mill Race on Front St between Division and the creek|
circa 1890, detail (Salem Library Historic Photos)
|1926 Sanborn Fire Map|
On the corner of Division and Commercial there are several small apartments, mostly duplexes and one four-plex. It doesn't look like there's anything commercial here by this time.
The Mill Race is not shown, so it appears to have been abandoned and paved over by then.
You may recall the photo of the McKinney dealership kitty-corner from the UGM site at 430 Commercial Street NE. On May 12th, 1962, they advertised "We are moving" to 695 Liberty Street NE, just south of the new Police Station site, across Division.
And now, after the cars have moved again, mostly out to the Parkway, we are in the process of building a large public office building on the site.
Even in just 150 years, there's a complex history with multiple layers of urban development here, and it will be interesting to read any final report.
Under the #ThisIsCool column ... archeological excavation is occurring on the site of Salem's future police station! As a publicly-owned site, the City of Salem is responsible for ensuring the redevelopment of the site does not adversely affect any known archeological or historic resources. An exploratory trench was excavated in July and a few artifacts (glass jar and miscellaneous nails) were found. That then meant additional trenches needed to be explored.The "Day" is actually a little short, unfortunately more like a "lunch," and it takes place on Monday the 10th, between 11am and 1pm. The brevity of the two-hour "Day" hopefully will leave people wanting more.
Now it gets even cooler! You're invited to come observe the work on one of the trenches! Yes, next week the public is invited to Archeology Day. Observe the work being done by archeologists from the Oregon Archaeological Society, students from Willamette University, and our very own City Archeologist Kimberli Fitzgerald. Date, time, and location on the flier below, or see our Facebook Event Section.
(The photo in the announcement actually shows Front Street and nothing of the Police Station site. You can see the photo here, and a more detailed image that overlaps it a little here. They do give a sense of the texture of residential development in that 1895 Sanborn map.)
Update, September 11th
The Police posted a "Done in One" video clip, and they say they have have found things from "the early Pioneer period and the Native American period," including "stone tools, obsidian, and one arrowhead."
|SPD: "Done in One"|
* Something, too, we should always consider, is that before there were houses, before there were Pioneers and Missionaries and trappers, there were other people who lived here.
|Fall 2017 Oregon Historical Quarterly|
|1861 GLO Survey map showing early claims:|
McLain (McLane), Parrish, Wilson (Willson), Leslie among them
|August 15th, 1918|
|"Bits for Breakfast," Statesman, June 12th, 1934|
Back to the settlement time, anthropologist David Lewis has documented some evidence for a name change here, from Chemeketa Creek to Mill Creek. His blog and website is always interesting, and perhaps he will have something to say about the project, perhaps is even consulting on it, at some point.