Sunday night, driving on Lancaster Drive in the Four Corners area Anthony Mankins struck and killed Blake Saville, who was biking.
|Looking north in the 300 block of Lancaster Dr SE|
(Inset, sign for 40mph in the 700 block SE)
From the Sheriff's release:
At approximately 8:17 p.m. on Sunday, February 21, 2021, Willamette Valley Communications Center received a 911 call from a driver reporting they struck a cyclist in the 300 block of Lancaster Drive SE. When first responders arrived at the scene they located a 25-year-old male cyclist who had sustained life-threatening injuries. The male was taken to a local hospital where he remains in critical condition. The driver was not injured in the crash and remained at the scene.
Investigators from the Marion County Sheriff’s Office Crash Team were called out to investigate. Based upon initial information, investigators believe the driver was traveling northbound on Lancaster Drive when the cyclist was struck while crossing the roadway. Neither driver impairment nor speed appears to have been contributing factors to the collision. Lancaster Drive SE was closed to traffic for several hours during the investigation.
And an update from the Sheriff (which appears to be written by a different person, as it uses the "hit by car" passive voice in contrast with the clearer language of "driver" in the first release):
Earlier today the Marion County Sheriff’s Office provided preliminary details about a serious injury crash involving a cyclist who was struck by a vehicle on Lancaster Drive SE on Sunday evening, February 21st, 2021. Following the crash, the cyclist was taken to an area hospital with critical injuries. The cyclist has since succumbed to their injuries and was pronounced deceased late Monday morning.
The cyclist has been identified as Blake Saville, 25, of Salem. The involved driver in the crash, Anthony Mankins, 29, of Salem was uninjured.
To say "speed appears [not] to have been [a] contributing factor" omits that even at lawful speed at 40mph, a crash with a person on foot or on bike is nearly certain to be fatal.
Even if speeding is not a factor, speed most certainly is.
There aren't a lot of signalized intersections here, and crossing can be difficult. It might not be well lit at night. The road is wide, and at 40mph any small error in judgement by either Saville or Mankins might result in catastrophe to the more vulnerable person on bike.
The road's design is inherently hostile to people on foot, on bike, or in wheelchair.
This post may be updated.
|Tuesday paper uses "hit by car" and passive voice|
|On erasing the driver - Columbia Journalism Review|
For more discussion of language see these recent examples:
- "Headline Omits Verb, Erases the Driver; New TRB Paper Addresses Problem" (2019). This also has links to a follow-up study on framing and reader interpretation.
- See the way the story develops with different publications in "Driver Strikes and Kills Marshall Leslie on Foot near Downtown Safeway." (2019)
- "Why so much Acceptance for Traffic Cone Theory of Walking?" with discussion of a Salem Police PSA (2015)
- Notes on a City of Salem PSA this month, "City PSA on Time Change and Safety Needs Paradigm Change Itself." It has many links to the history of jaywalking also. (2019)
- On "distracted walking," "Death on Foot: Too Much on Distracted Walking Canard." (2018)
- "Why Pedestrian Rights themselves may not be Sufficient." (2015)
- Two discussions of a law review article about our system of subsidy for autoism, "The Laws for Compulsory Autoism at The Atlantic," and "Police Publish Video on How to Speed Without a Ticket." (both 2019)
|Back in 2015 we said "troubling"|
but really, how troubled are we?
Killed in 2021
- Unknown (I-5 and Market Street interchange)
- Rachel Bunting (while driving a bus for Cherriots)
- Jaime Le Ann Hall (on skateboard)
- Sharon Pritchard
- Mario Lopez-Lopez (walking a bike)
- Unknown person via SJ (on I-5 near Market St)
- Andrew Otho Polston (biking on Windsor Island Road)
- Jolene Braasch Berry (on bike)
- Richardo Morales Avila (in McMinnville)
- Octavious Calloway (on I-5)
- Selma Pierce
- Hermilo Mata Jr.
- Marshall Leslie
- Linda Adamson (south Salem) and Stephanie Ashford (just outside Salem)
- Jason Libel (on bike)
- Josephine Watkins
- Rodric Kenyon Drolshagen
- Olivia Stroup
- Jaren Nash
- Alex Armes
- Anthony Earnest
- Baxter Harrell
- Unknown (just outside Salem)
- Bradley Goad (in Silverton)