On Wednesday the 28th, an unknown driver struck a person on foot and fled. Today police announced Cynthia Lynn Perry Rizzo died from the injuries.
The initial release from Salem Police on Wednesday:
The Salem Police Traffic Team needs the public’s help in locating the driver involved in a hit-and-run collision today in the 4000 block of Sunnyview RD NE. [near the intersection of Sunnyview and Lancaster]
Officers responded to the area just after 5:00 a.m. on the report of a pedestrian struck by a vehicle. The victim, a 66-year-old woman was found lying in the roadway with life-threatening injuries, and she was transported to Salem Health.
The unknown driver of the vehicle in the collision did not remain at the scene and likely fled eastbound on Sunnyview RD from Lancaster DR NE.
At the scene investigators collected pieces of a headlight assembly which point to the involved vehicle being a 1988 to 2000 full-size Chevrolet/GMC pick-up or sports utility vehicle.
Anyone with information concerning this traffic investigation is asked to call the Salem Police Traffic Team at 503-588-6171.
The victim is identified as Cynthia Lynn Perry Rizzo of Keizer. Rizzo, who sustained critical injuries in the collision, succumbed to those injuries on Thursday, September 29.
The Salem Police Traffic Team is still seeking assistance from the community to identify the driver who fled from this fatal traffic incident.
Also this week, a driver apparently blinded by sun, nonetheless proceeded forward, and struck two school children. Since there was no apparent crime, the headline uses the "hit by car" trope, though the body text is very clear: "a driver...struck two children."
And last weekend, a driver hit a person biking and also fled.
From Marion County Sheriff:
On September 24, 2022, at approximately 10:15 a.m., a 911 caller reported bicyclist had been struck by a car at the intersection of Howell Prairie Road NE and Hazelgreen Road NE, east of Salem. Witnesses told deputies the involved car, a “cherry red” hatchback fled from the scene. The bicyclist, a 70-year-old female, was taken to a local hospital to be treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
Deputies are seeking anyone who may have video footage from the area or who has information to help identify the driver or vehicle involved in the crash. Tipsters can contact Sr. Deputy Todd Sphoon at email@example.com or can call our non-emergency number at 503-588-5032 at reference case #22-15139. Anonymous tips can be submitted by texting TIPMCSO and your tip to 847411.
Update, November 1st
I am late to updating this. The driver hit an SBC member, Winnie Sangiardi, on a club ride.
|On a club ride|
|Back in 2015 we said "troubling"|
but really, how troubled are we?
Killed in 2022
- George Heitz and Moira Hughes (inside their own home)
- Jowand Beck, Luke Kagey, Joe Posada III, and Rochelle Zamacona (camping on Front between Union and Division)
- Unknown person (on Cordon Road)
- Unknown person (on Lancaster Drive)
- Unknown person (on Lancaster Drive)
- Charles Dwayne Hatfield (I-5 in Linn County)
- Wesley James Crossman (RR)
- Vince Edward Fouts (Woodmansee Park lot)
- Cassandra Sullivan (I-5)
Killed in 2021
- Unknown person (I-5 and Market Street interchange)
- Rachel Bunting (while operating a bus for Cherriots)
- Blake Saville (on bike)
- Christian Kennedy (on Silverton Road)
- Galina Dvorskaya (south Commercial)
- Marlene Moreno (downtown crosswalk)
- Becky Dietzel (on North River Road)
- Unknown person (on Church St downtown)
- Aleta Pierre-Kelly (Mission Street)
- Eileen Johnson (on bike)
- Unknown person (on bike crossing Salem Parkway)
- Anthony Garza (on bike, crossing I-5)
- Christine Klug (on I-5)
- Unknown person (Lancaster Drive)
- Jaime Le Ann Hall (on skateboard)
- Sharon Pritchard
- Mario Lopez-Lopez (walking a bike)
- Unknown person via SJ (on I-5 near Market St)
- Andrew Otho Polston (biking on Windsor Island Road)
- Jolene Braasch Berry (on bike)
- Richardo Morales Avila (in McMinnville)
- Octavious Calloway (on I-5 near Market St)
- Selma Pierce
- Hermilo Mata Jr.
- Unknown person (on mobility scooter)
- Marshall Leslie
- Linda Adamson (south Salem) and Stephanie Ashford (biking on Lakeside Drive)
- Joseph Rodriguez (Lakeside Drive)
- Jason Libel (on bike)
- Josephine Watkins
- Rodric Kenyon Drolshagen
- Olivia Stroup
- Jaren Nash
- Alex Armes
- Anthony Earnest
- Baxter Harrell
- Unknown (just outside Salem)
- Bradley Goad (in Silverton)
In a further update, Police have identified the truck the driver used:
"The Salem Police Traffic Team has identified the involved vehicle in the Wednesday, September 28, fatal traffic collision.
Traffic investigators are now asking for the public’s help in locating the pickup which is described as follows:
1998, Chevy 1500 pickup truck, extended cab, dark blue
Oregon license plate 604 FWD
Damage to the driver side headlight
The photographs provided with this press release were captured prior to the collision.
Anyone with information on the truck’s whereabouts is asked to immediately call the Salem Police Department at 503-588-6123 (option 1) and refer to case number 22-2177.
Members of the public should not attempt to make contact with anyone with the vehicle. Please call police directly."
Post a Comment