|Willamette Valley Voices, vol. III, No 1|
|1350 Ferry circled in red|
- An "old warehouse"
- The Salem Soap & Chemical Works
- Capital Soap Works
- The Angora Rug & Fur Company
- Lachelle’s Furs
- The Parking Lot
A diversion of water from the millrace to the fountains of Pringle Park caused the old waterway to become narrower. The millrace which had previously flowed swiftly through the Ferry Street property began to move slowly. The sound of rushing water at that location went silent.And change will likely continue in the future. The NEN-SESNA project has identified this area as an "opportunity site" (#8 in map below) and hopefully the parking lot will revert to something more productive and interesting.
It was in the context of these developments and in response to the growing demand for parking that the Fur Shop was demolished. Chris Lachele’s solid-looking “little house” was also torn down. The weeping willow beside the millrace became firewood. The yard with its tulip tree, rosebushes, dahlias, and other flowering plants was paved over. In 1980 the property became a parking lot.
|Looking Forward SESNA Opportunity Sites|
Go check it out (big pdf).
(This is an interesting area. The first location of the blind school was a block away, and a strange sanitarium for dope and liquor addicts was next door. There's probably lots of other interesting history nearby, too!)