|Salvation Army, circa 1930 (or 1938?)|
via City of Salem Walking Tour
|Old West Salem City Hall, 1936|
|Leslie Junior High School, 1937|
|Yaquina Hall, 1946|
|former Temple Beth Sholom, 1948|
via Discover Neighborhood History
Obviously, too, they're all in brick.
So maybe it's not so surprising to find out they were designed by the same person, Lyle Bartholomew.
Bartholomew doesn't get much love for his buildings in town, it seems, and maybe this is because they aren't high-style exemplars. They are more utilitarian, practical, and lack the ornamental or stylistic excesses we sometime overprize.
Still, he was notable enough in town that when a Public Works Administration commission for a new city hall in West Salem came through, he secured it. The building's brick contrasts, of course, with the marble of the Capitol and State Library buildings, but there are lots of other nice details on the building.
Easy biographical detail on Bartholomew is scant, but here's his brief listing in the American Institute of Architects 1956 American Architects Directory:
|American Architects Directory, 1956|
Probably the most significant building of Bartholomew's that is lost is the old Capital Journal building.
|The old Capital Journal Building and Belluschi Bank lot, 1946|
Old City Hall in background
Salem Library Historic Photos
The paper lasted only 20 years there, and in 1954 they moved to share building space with the Statesman. (And of course this led to the 1980 merge that resulted in the Statesman-Journal. Newspapering has always been unstable and chaotic, as each generation requires new configurations and new business models - the very picture of Schumpeterian "creative destruction.")
Unlike the parallel blocks of Court or State streets, which have kept intact much of the older building fabric, this stretch of Chemeketa Street has seen repeated cycles of demolition and rebuilding along its whole length, and perhaps there will be more to say in a future note about why this might be the case.
As a footnote, it is also interesting to learn that Frank Lloyd Wright was commissioned to design a building for the Journal in 1932, but the paper's publisher didn't like the design, the project fell through, and the commission instead went to the local architect.