|The first mill burned down in 1895|
Here it is circa 1889 during construction
(image via Writerquake)
|Dec. 16th, 1895|
It was rebuilt in brick instead of wood.
Walter D. Pugh, who was both a builder and architect, and who was responsible for Old City Hall and the Grand Theater, as well as many buildings we have lost, was engaged for the second mill structure.
The catastrophe of fire should remind us that we face another catastrophe.
A seismic retrofit of our existing bridges will be a lot cheaper than a new bridge, and when the big earthquake literally shakes everything to the foundations, as we know it will, wouldn't we be thankful for functional Center and Marion Street bridges instead of piles of rubble?
Additionally, both of the mill buildings used water power, and the Dye House setting, so close to the Mill Race, is also a fine place to consider technological and social change.
|The second mill, still standing today, circa 1900|
(image via Oregon State Library)
The old assumptions won't work in the future. The whole mill complex testifies powerfully to this.
|Autoist-in-Chief Eisenhower at a Traffic Safety Conference, 1954|
Part of work leading to the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956
(image via Eisenhower Presidential Library)